Thursday, April 7, 2011

They're All Hypocrites!

Wiktionary defines a “hypocrite” as someone who pretends to hold beliefs or whose actions are not consistent with their claimed beliefs. It further defines “hypocrisy” as “the claim or pretense of holding beliefs, feelings, standards, qualities, opinions or virtues that one does not actually possess; or applying criticism to others that one does not apply equally to oneself.”

Let’s see if we can break that down a little bit. If I believe something but don’t act like it, then I’m a hypocrite, right?

So if I believe that it’s important to record my golf score correctly, but put down an eagle when it should have been a bogey, I’m a hypocrite, right? What if I believe it’s important to not drive drunk, but have just one too many and get behind the wheel of my car anyway, then I’m a hypocrite, right? What if I believe that the Bible is true but choose not to act like it is, then I’m a hypocrite, right? And finally, what if I admit I’m a sinner and go to church, am I the hypocrite?

Hypocrisy never keeps people off the golf course, it never keeps people out of the bars, and it never deters people from driving sober. But when someone has his or her own opinion about what hypocrisy is and they apply it to everyone but themselves, then who’s the hypocrite?

Why is a church-going hypocrite any different from a golf-playing hypocrite? Churches are not supposed to be full of perfect, godly, Christ-like, un-sinning saints. Churches are supposed to be full of sinners who are trying desperately to lead better lives…and failing on a daily basis. Churches are filled with people who claim to love the Lord and know that they can’t love Him or anyone else without God’s help, and the only place that help is available is in church.

Hypocrites…really?

No comments:

Post a Comment